View Single Post
littlemissmuffet 08:07 AM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Thanks everyone. I am working on a new illness policy and sent out a newsletter letting everyone know I may be changing to a strictly "well daycare only" soon, just to soften the blow.

Up until now, I've taken children who are running low grade fevers and medicated. WTH was I thinking??

Have I mentioned sometimes I think I am too nice for this job? I seem to create 99.9% of my own problems.
Look, I'm not trying to be mean - but you just said you create most of your own problems by being too nice... and here you are being "nice" again to "soften the blow".

Telling parents that you will not take children with masked fevers isn't NOT being nice - it's being REALISTIC. Letting parents know that you will not take children who can't control their cold symptoms (coughing on others, wiping boogies everywhere, etc) isn't NOT being nice - it's being REALISTIC.
MOST daycares will not take sick kids, NO daycare center would ever keep a medicated child with a low-grade fever - why would you? And why would you set up that expectation for parents? You will not correct this situation by letting them know you MAY be changing to a well-only daycare - you will only correct it by letting them know you ARE changing to a well-only daycare. If they don't understand why, too bad, find new clients who will.

Wishy washy doesn't work.