View Single Post
Tracy Coffman 08:22 AM 11-15-2011
I am an independent insurance in Texas. Laws and coverages can differ from state to state.

I know that in Texas, State Farm allows you to add a rider to your homeowners policy if you have 6 or less children in your home. Although that rider is available and is pretty inexpensive, it does not provide the coverage afforded by a true general liability policy.

Our agency uses a company that offers a comprehensive package policy for in-home centers. If you qualify (major factors knocking this out would be transportation provided, special needs children, or losses in the last 5 years), you can typically get liability at $1,000,000 plus professional liability, and defense cost reimbursement for false accusations. Some carriers exclude the children under medical payments (this company does not, and the limit if $5,000 per person). You also want to make sure you're covered off premises if you do take the kids anywhere (so if a vase gets broken in a museum by one of your kids, you're covered). All of these coverages, plus $25,000 business property and $20,000 for loss of income should you have a covered loss in your home would cost you about $550 per year.

Again that can vary from state to state. And like I said, some homeowner companies do offer extensions of coverage, but it is not nearly as detailed as what you can get on a separate policy.

If you're in Texas and would like to discuss this further, feel free to call me at 1-800-783-6297.