View Single Post
Angelsj 05:59 AM 03-21-2013
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
Nan - I like a lot of what you said.
I have the problem of ALL of the kids acting up whenever ANYONE enters the home.
Now - seeing how it is NOT an option to completely stop people from entering my home (it just isn't - take me at my word) what would you suggest I do to keep the group from acting up and getting really rambunctious while I'm taking the five minutes that I need to have a conversation?
I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on this because I am at my wits end to be honest.

I also have a problem that when my afterschool kids get here the energy level of the entire group sky rockets and I almost lose control of everything.
School age kids have to be strictly controlled. You need to sit them down and have a chat. Decide how you want your afternoon to go.
We do:
Arrival, hang up coats and sit down for snack 20 mins
If it is nice, send them outside for the remainder of the time
If not, have a craft/painting/legos or something they must do sitting at the table. I have several toys that only the older kids can use. Either the littles are gone at that time, or I give the older kids a safe place to use the "older kid" toys separate from the little ones.
Not sure how long you have them, but you cannot just let them come in and free play. You must remain strictly in control if you cannot give them an outdoor place to run wild. They have been cooped up all day at school and have a ton of energy that must be channeled.