View Single Post
Unregistered 08:10 PM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My 4 yr old NEVER takes a nap when she is at home, but when she is at daycare she sleeps 1-2 hrs. I don't agree with the people who say she NEEDS the sleep, because guess what happens when she sleeps that long? She is up until 11 pm that night!! This happened yesterday/last night and as result she only got 8 hrs of sleep last night before having to wake up to go to daycare where she OF COURSE slept 2 hrs today because she was exhausted from not sleeping last night. So now, here I am as I type watching my wide awake chi,d quietly play with babies with not a tired bone in her body at 9:30 pm. Guess we're destined for a repeat tonight. Thanks, daycare.
Kids very rarely behave exactly the same at home as they do for others. So, the same stands to reason for sleep too. Your kid probably doesn't WANT to sleep (what kid actually does? They'll miss out on everything, of course!) but at daycare, there is a routine and rules to abide by and most kids will follow the rules, no problem. You can set the same rules at home, but if you do not follow-through the same way, the child probably is going to test you a lot more than they will their dcp. Maybe YOU have to step up and tell her it's time for the dolls to be put away and lay her down like the provider does at nap. Chances are, though, that if you haven't had this routine down the WHOLE time, you'll have a heck of a fight on your hands for at least 2 weeks (That's if you stick with it). My DCK's used to sleep from 12p-2p (usually got up around 1:30 though but the baby would sleep til 2). They ALSO went to bed on time. Why? Because the parents I had enforced their bed time with their kids. They had rituals. Dinner, bath, teeth brushed, bedtime. Every night was the same unless unforseen circumstances arose (rarely). The kids knew what was expected of them and it wasn't a problem. It's only a problem if you make it one and if you do not enforce the rules in your house. And if you did, your child would NOT be up PLAYING at 9:30 at night. Even if they are not "tired" why would you let them do something stimulating when you want them to sleep??