View Single Post
Unregistered 11:59 AM 01-29-2011
I'm in Indiana. An unlicensed home is allowed 5 unrelated children, and I don't think there's a limit to related children.
A class 1 licensed home is allowed up to 12 children plus 3 school age children during the school year (and however many children they have of their own), but the ages of the children play into that number also (no more than 3 of those children can be under 16 months, and must be walking). so a total of 15 ages 0-school age.
A class 2 licensed home is allowed up to 16 children (and however many of their own children), plus up to 3 school agers during the school year. So a total of 19 ages 0-12.

A provider can have up to 10 children (plus up to 3 school agers over age 6) by themselves and still be in ratio (and however many of their own children) ages 0-6. But if the youngest child is 3 years old the ratio goes up to 12 children for one provider.

I looked at center based care and their school age ratio is 20:1! That's crazy! The other ratios are: 15:1 for 5 yr olds, 12:1 for 4 yr olds, 10:1 for 3 yr olds, 5:1 for 2 yr olds and toddlers, and 1:4 for infants. So between ages 2 and 3 the ratio doubles!

How many of you providers who only provide care for school agers think you can manage 20 of them by yourself?