View Single Post
daycare 12:27 PM 04-25-2012
My motto....kids who don't listen don't get to have any fun...I will do everything in my power to help you get there, BUT I will NOT do it for you.

I teach this from day one. Sounds harsh, but it is what works great for me. Especially at the age of your DCB.

I would be very cut and dry. OK clean time...DCB does not clean up. Ok sorry you didn't listen, so you don't get to have any fun. The next activity, this kid would get to sit and watch everyone have fun. It could be for 3 min or 15min, depending on how long the Good Listeners stay interested in the activity.

When it is over, I will tell DCK, how did that feel not getting to have fun with us? Did it make you feel: angry, sad, frustrated, hurt, and etc. Then I will say, well I want you to have fun, so please listen. then rinse and repeat.

I don't do tantrums. You CAN if you want, but I won't give them one look.

Maybe you can try something like this, but it has to be very cut and dry. Also, maybe instead of just saying NO, tell the child why. I know that NO means NO, but some kids take it better at this age if you explain to them why you are telling them NO.

Also, try setting the consequence from the start. DCB you will not get to have any fun playing watercolors if you do not clean up that mess.

I hope that things get better for you