View Single Post
Unregistered 06:20 PM 11-11-2010
Way back when I worked at a private college prep school. The school served children from PreK through 12th grade. The tuition? $20K per year, not including uniforms, meal services, or bussing. It also didn't include the expected "fair share" contribution to the annual fund (the fair share amound was $1500 per family to make the million dollar per year goal) nor the expected contribution to the endowment fund. It didn't include donations to the silent auction OR the volunteer hours which were REQUIRED of all parents. Interestingly, although these children did get a great education, it is NOT the best education. In fact, there were a several public schools who scored higher for the state of MN.

So, why would parents shell out $20K so little Susie's early education? Well, the school offered something that they wanted for their child. Often, it was bragging rights...You know, like, "OMG! It is SO hard to get in there! We had to attend THREE seperate interviews!"

Sometimes it may have been something that was important to them, such as...

"We only eat whole foods, organics, and chemical free foods...my child's school serves NOTHING but the best food!"

or for the crunchy granola types,

"The _____ School requires all kids to participate in charitable activities...in FACT all kids must do a one year long service project. My little Susie is building arc's in Bosnia."

Of course, there is always, "OMG! Your child got HIT? In school? OMG!!!! That would never happen in my child's school. My child's school is a safe enviornment."

Now, lots of parents would give say, "OMG! I am SO not going to spend that kind of money for Susie to go to freakin' preschool! Are those people crazy? Where do they get off charging that, expecting this, or requiring that! Those kids are no better than mine, and I bet that they get in to their fair share of trouble too"

The answer is simple, because they CAN!

Hats off Nan! You have created the ultimate it private daycare. You have established a reputation for providing nothing but the best, and your parents are willing to jump through hoops to get it! Good for you!

3kidsmom

For the record, I would guess that the reason that Nan doesn't get upset when people disagree is because she is laughing her way to the bank..after a relatively stress free day of doing things her own way, and having her parents appreciate her for it.