View Single Post
laundrymom 09:28 AM 10-06-2011
Here is mine,... I think it covers almost everything...

Illness and Medication Policies
~If you know they are ill - DO NOT BRING THEM. If your child becomes ill COME TO GET THEM. If there is vomiting, diarrhea, fever, green or yellow runny nose, or an undiagnosed rash they cant come to daycare. Child can return to daycare when:
Fever free without medication for 24 hours (teething does not cause fever)
Free of vomiting, fever or diarrhea without medication for 24 hours, this means 24 hours from last episode. If they last vomited at daycare at 330 pm, they cant return to daycare until 330 pm the following day, even if they do not vomit again at home. They must be out of daycare for 24 hours following illness. If they vomit at home after leaving daycare then they can’t return until 24 hours has passed from that episode. I know this sounds ridiculous and that most parents would never willingly expose another child to illness. Over the years we have had many bouts with preventable illness’s because parents brought their child back to daycare while they are still contagious. If your child is ill and has a fever, even when you give meds to alleviate fever, the child is STILL contagious even if fever comes down with medication. They must be FEVER free, SYMPTOM FREE for 24 hours without medication . They must also wait 24 hours AFTER the start of any antibiotic.
~ Please do not attempt to ‘mask’ illness with medications. I know your child well enough to that I can tell when they are medicated. This also becomes a safety issue should an accident occur and paramedics ask if they have had medication. If you feel the need to medicate your child then they need to be absent from daycare that day. My priority is to keep the children in my care SAFE, HEALTHY and HAPPY. I am unable to do that if I allow ill children to attend. While I know it is an inconvenience, your child’s health and the health of his/her playmates is worth more than you may lose by missing work. If it is crucial you do not miss work, then you must find alternate care for your ill child, maybe a friend or family member.
~ I would appreciate all medications to be given at home and not daycare. This includes antibiotics and allergy medications. I prefer medications be handled by parents or guardians. There are times when this is unavoidable and in this case ALL medication must be brought in daily with a detailed signed note giving permission to administer including time and dosage instructions. I am referring to medications for asthma, heart medications, etc. A doctors prescription and detailed administration directions from physician are needed and they are the only instructions I will follow. The medication must be for the child who is getting it. Ex: Billy cant have Sally’s meds even if they have the same illness. I will also only give medications 4-6 hours after arrival. If they need an initial daily dose, give it to them at home. I will NOT administer meds until I can ensure there will be NO chance for accidental overdose.