View Single Post
Unregistered 10:11 AM 03-07-2011
Thank you for posting this. I really wish parents would sit down and think about when was the last time they sat and watched a cartoon or a show that their kid wanted to watch? Or when was the last time they played the parent's most hated game with their kid and actually enjoyed it rather than wishing it was over? Or when was the last time they let their kid cook with them? Or fold laundry with them? Or just sit and talk with them in teh vehicle or during dinner. I discovered 2 weeks ago on a long trip that my child doesn't like listening to the radio or music in the vehicle - that he wants to just talk to me. Because he doesn't get to talk very much during school and we're so busy otherwise with dinner, etc - he has to listen more than he can share his views. So we talk and it was beautiful. Or when did they ask their kid how school was and who was nice and was naughty to them? Or when did they ask their kid's opinion on what clothes they want? My child is adament - he just wants to stay home and play with us - his parents. He doesn't like being gone every weekend to an event or birthday party or restaurant, etc. So we stay home and play and he likes it much better. And if we do go somewhere, he wants to be with just us, not a friend, so we go by ourselves. And he wants us to participate and actually have fun doing it. Have you ever fit yourself into those small child ride trains? Or went on a roller coaster and sat with your kid? It's a beautiful experience. Try it sometime - you'll rediscover your childhood just by playing with your children. I've found that social services will not show up on my door if I don't clean my house every week. I've found that no one cares what I feed him as long as he's fed and not going hungry - regardless of whether it's mac & cheese, a turkey sandwich, cereal or a salad, home made bread, pot roast and carrots. Laundry really can be a one day project and doesn't have to be done 5 times per week as long as you purchase extra undies and socks. The school won't call if I let him stay up late Friday and Saturday nights in order to watch the news and movies with us. It's amazing at how much I've learned about being a parent from my young child and there's no books saying this kind of stuff and I wish there was. And it's a beatiful thing.