View Single Post
Zoe 10:04 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
My screamer is in OT and speech. He has issues. Love him to pieces. He will be 2 soon. He has been in OT for a couple weeks and has been in speech for a month or so. We did the first few visits here at daycare. Now mom is doing them at home. Mom came today with a list of demands. We are to bring him in to the play area, and go from station to station reshowing things each and every time we enter the area (because he doesn't want to be put down, and so when we enter the play area, he knows that means we will be putting him down). Then when we see him getting overstimulated, we are supposed to massage him from head to toe. Then she gave suggestions of special "toys" for him to use while he is here (turn an old butter tub over with the lid on, cut a slit in the bottom, and go buy a bunch of bright colored artificial fingernails and let him slip them into the slit.) Ok. Then we are supposed to only feed him crunchy or chewy things. I just told her, "I can't provide one to one care for him, unfortunately. I don't mind doing a little extra, but it wouldn't be fair to take a lot of extra time away from the other 11 kids in care. And he will have to eat the healthy food that I prepare for the kids. I don't have enough time or money put aside to cook two different meals." She just looked at me. I think she thought I would just do it all. Wish I could make enough to just give one on one care to a child. But that isn't reality.
There are special things you can do for him that wouldn't require THAT much extra care. Some of that sounds like a bit much. If that's what it takes, then maybe he needs a nanny.