View Single Post
Ariana 12:19 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
I read this once before recently, and agree with the idea that praise is overused at times.

I will say for the record, though, that I am with full knowledge going to continue manipulating my particular little group with praise! It's all I've got, man!

I understand all about intrinsic motivation. But, I have no problem at all with children WANTING to please the adults around them. I believe that there is a hierarchy here, and that is the way it should be. My children (dc or otherwise) are my emotional equal, meaning they have the right to their feelings and thoughts. But I have 45 years of experience on the lot of them, so they are not my "equals" in every way. I will use whatever "tools" I have to teach them acceptable behavior until they are able to understand on their own.

Toddlers don't have an innate sense of right and wrong; they need to be taught it. Somewhere along the line, they internalize those messages, and no longer need be "manipulated", as Alfie suggests.

Sorry, Cystal, maybe I am taking the tone of the article the wrong way???
I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds like you don't understand what the article is trying to say. He's not eliminating praise he's making it more meaningful. I'm confused by your statement!!

We are still teaching them right from wrong