Thread: Toy Obsession
View Single Post
QualiTcare 08:12 PM 02-11-2011
it's pretty typical for a child with a lot of siblings to have "speech delays."
the basic, uncomplicated explanation is that they have a speech delay bc their siblings do all the talking FOR them. it's true - i've seen it repeatedly even in families with only two children who are close in age (including my own kids). my daughter had a HUGE vocab and ppl would just laugh and boast about the words she would use and how much she talked at a young age, but my son (obviously raised in the same environment) was nowhere near the same - and it was bc his big sister was always hovering over him and telling everyone what he was saying/what he wanted, etc.

the toy scenario could be similar - i'm not certain about that one, but if there are four kids, there may not be much that belongs to HIM. maybe he has found something that HE likes that is his own. maybe it's the only thing he has at HOME that he doesn't have to share and that's carrying over to daycare. the one thing i don't have to share is my ______________. toothbrush (ha, tell my kids that), blanket, bed, HOT WHEELS. who knows.