View Single Post
Sunchimes 07:01 PM 01-18-2012
I'm open when I'm needed, except for Sundays. I have one parent who usually drops off at 5:45 am and picks up at 6:15 pm. She's on a temporary shift change, so for a few weeks, she doesn't drop off until 1:30 pm and dcd picks up at 5:00 or 5:30 pm. It's like a vacation around here these days! One mom works retail, mostly 7:30 to 4:30, but sometimes, they mess with her schedule and she works 12:30 pm to 9:30 pm, or 3:30 pm to midnight. I do them all, but they aren't a regular thing. My worst day was when the 2 moms overlapped and I worked from 5:45 am to 12:30 am. That one was tough.

I started out wanting night shift work so that the kids would sleep and I would have my days free. Not a single call, so now, I do odd hours. However, it seems to have fallen into a rhythm that is pretty easy at the moment.

I can do this because my kids are gone, hubby is semi-retired and home a lot, and I only have 3 kids, max. On 3 kid days, I stay home because I only have room in the car for 2 car seats. But, on 1 or 2 kid days, I do what I need to do. We go to the post office, Walmart (Wm--the closest thing to a field trip in our town), the park, garage sales, etc. The kids are really comfortable here, they are more like part of the grand kids than they are work, so it's no big deal to put them in the pnp, set up the monitor, and get on with my evening. I'm very lucky that way.

That's going to change soon. I'm getting a 6 week old, so I'll be housebound for a few weeks. Not looking forward to it. Someone want to trade a 6 week old for a Terrible Two?