View Single Post
Unregistered 01:56 PM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm in Indiana. An unlicensed home is allowed 5 unrelated children, and I don't think there's a limit to related children.
A class 1 licensed home is allowed up to 12 children plus 3 school age children during the school year (and however many children they have of their own), but the ages of the children play into that number also (no more than 3 of those children can be under 16 months, and must be walking). so a total of 15 ages 0-school age.
A class 2 licensed home is allowed up to 16 children (and however many of their own children), plus up to 3 school agers during the school year. So a total of 19 ages 0-12.

A provider can have up to 10 children (plus up to 3 school agers over age 6) by themselves and still be in ratio (and however many of their own children) ages 0-6. But if the youngest child is 3 years old the ratio goes up to 12 children for one provider.

I looked at center based care and their school age ratio is 20:1! That's crazy! The other ratios are: 15:1 for 5 yr olds, 12:1 for 4 yr olds, 10:1 for 3 yr olds, 5:1 for 2 yr olds and toddlers, and 1:4 for infants. So between ages 2 and 3 the ratio doubles!

How many of you providers who only provide care for school agers think you can manage 20 of them by yourself?

Actually in Indiana unlicensed, you're only allowed to have 5 total, that includes your own children. So if you have 5 kids of your own under the age of 7 still at home then you can't watch any other children. I'm working towards my Indiana license and have been told this multiple times. Also, your ratios that you have are off. It's 10 children total per adult and over that you need another adult. I worked at a daycare for 3 years and it was the same there.You can only have 12 or 16 total at a time. We did after school care and were told 16 total was what we could have even if they were 9 years old.