View Single Post
Sugar Magnolia 05:46 PM 05-19-2011
Random cheapness: yard sales, of course, but if you notice they have lots of kids stuff, give them a card and tell them you have a preschool and you'd appreciate donations of unsold items. You'd be shocked how much free stuff you get this way! Try freecycle.org too. I never buy a book brand new...used book stores totally rock, pay as little as 25 cents, or they'll donate if you ask real nice. And utilize your local library, free and keeps books fresh. And they often have free coloring pages, etc. LOTS of businesses have free kids swag and unused promotional items, if you say you have a preschool, they will gladly hook you up, just ask, don't be shy!!! Kids LOVE to sit on carpet squares! A local carpet store will donate discontinued samples. Hardware stores have discontinued paint color samples they throw away. Doctors offices will donate tounge depressers for crafts and old magazines for cutting up. Pizza places will donate pizza boxes for crafts. As you can see, I'm a big fan of polite begging, especially to local businesses. Call your local county parks dept, they often have free coloring books and people who will visit your school with critters and such. So do police depts. (Free plastic badges!) And fire depts.(Free plastic fire hats). My bank gives me pens when I ask. They know me, so they save stuff for me that they think can be used by kids, like paper.

I am also a huge fan of free PUBLICITY! Have your kids make a Memorial Day poster for your local VFW post, takes some pictures, send to the paper. Adopt a soldier, send him pictures and cards the kids make, take some pictures, send to the paper. Make cards for the local old folks home, take pictures, send to the paper. You get the idea....serve the community and they will serve you.

Hmmm....that's all I got...for now. Heehee.