View Single Post
Pammie 02:53 AM 03-16-2011
The big project this week for the 3+ age kiddos is to make leprechaun traps

I give them my saved collection of shoe boxes, tissue boxes, oatmeal canisters and paper towel rolls - along with tape, construx paper, glue, markers, paints, etc. and let them go nuts designing and building their own trap to trap a leprechaun. They do need help with cutting the cardboard - but the rest is up to them. Some of the kids get incredibly creative each year.

Then the folk-lore around here is that if they actually are lucky enough to trap a leprechaun in their trap, he has to drop all of the gold coins in his pockets - that he's collected from traveling around the world - before he leaves (leprechauns are very honest)

The dcks will set their traps around my house before they leave today, and hopefully by tomorrow morning, (and thanks to a coin shoppe in my neighborhood that sells bulk coins from foreign countries) the kids will have some foreign coins in their traps tomorrow morning:-))

I've been doing this activity for years now, and it's one of the favorite daycare memories of many of my alumni