View Single Post
Chickenhauler 12:09 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by hawkfan428:
That's been a rule in every daycare I've worked at. You cannot legally keep a child from their parent if they are drunk. You can request that you call someone else to pick them up, but if they say 'No" you have to let them go. And then call the police.

I think it's terrible. I told my husband that rule one night and he was outraged. What kind of world do we live in?
Originally Posted by emosks:
I agree how crazy of a rule it is. I would for sure contact your licensing consultant (if you are licensed) or the state to see what your state laws are. For sure call the police and report him as a drunk driver not only for the safety of the child but everyone else on the road!
Laws vary from one state to another, and if I recall correctly, in MN, we are not permitted to release a child into the care of a drunken driver.

That's the legal side....anyone want to talk about liability here?

Dad picks up child in an inebriated condition. Dad heads down road, blows stop sign, T-bones someone, child is killed (drunks almost always survive for some reason). Toxicology report shows that Dad was WAAAYYYY over the legal limit.

Mom is irate that you released child into drunken drivers care.
Mom sues you for negligence.
You lose.
Big time.

You now live in a cardboard box under the bridge.

Still thinking about releasing that child to a drunk driver?

Ask yourself this....would you let YOUR child get in that car?

Then why are you letting this child get in that car?