View Single Post
Abigail 07:13 PM 02-07-2011
I agree with Michelle, she has a nice list going for you. Cubbies is a big deal (don't forget!) which you need a place to store diapers and extra clothes, but also their personal belongings they bring daily like a jacket, back pack, or lunch pail. Do you currently do daycare or is this a whole new experience for you?

I like to see cribs also, in all the center's I've visited they all had cribs. They look so much nicer too. If you take infants, make sure you have infant toys that will last through chewing and slobber and slamming. LOL

Don't forget about the cleaning supplies! You'll definitely need that. How about a bathroom break chart to keep track of when each child took a bathroom break? It can hang on or near the door. Remember paper towels to drying hands and to have two separate sinks: one in the bathroom area and another in the kitchen area. The bathroom is a good place to store the diapers and extra clothing is you have your changing station in the bathroom as well...just depends on the size. Make sure to have step stools or child-sized toilets and sinks. Don't forget about safety measures also. The child locks on cupboards, outlet covers, latches on outside gates and interior door handles to prevent the kids from running wild throughout the building unsupervised.

Hmmm, How about a play kitchen area, a child sized table for the dramatic play and a basket for all the dress up clothes, hooks on the wall for the fireman hat, and a mirror to view one's self? Also adding a rug or placing the furniture strategically to section off parts of the rooms into centers. Create a nice reading zone with at least 2 books per child enrolled to give them lots of options. Hang realistic pictures of children on the wall so they can learn about others and also the traditional Abc's, 123's, colors, shapes and weather.

Besides keeping in mind what you have and need, look around at what these places offer you. Do you have ample light from outside? Is the light shining straight in between noon and 3 when naps normally take place? Many moods can be changed with some happy sunlight, I could use some now in our harsh winter! Do any of the places have tall or low ceilings? You don't want to feel cramped if it has a low ceiling. Do either of the places have great outdoor access and room to run? Are they located in a quiet and calm or loud and busy neighborhoods? Lots to look at. Make sure you have room for adult sized furniture too! Don't forget that, you'll be hurting if all you have to sit on is a 10 inch high chair or a toy shelf that you continually tell the kids to stay off of but it's for you to sit. LOL