View Single Post
Cat Herder 07:08 AM 10-06-2011
I have a medication authorization form that is required for parents to fill out, in full, and return before any meds can be given here.

It has Childs full name, name of medication, Prescription number, Physicians name/phone number, start and end dates, times to be given, how medication is to be stored, and dosage for the specific child as per signing physician. I then document each dosage and time, at the end of treatment we both keep a copy.

So, technically, Yes, I give meds...but they have to do their part first. Nobody has for anything other than longterm/chronic cardiac/renal/respiratory meds (have not given meds for over a year now). I also do not have the meds going back and forth (exhausting policing), I have them ask the pharmacist to split it into two bottles for childcare, never been an issue.

Turns out it is easier to give a 3x per day med (every 8 hours) just before drop-off, right after pick-up and before the adults go to bed for the evening than to go through the trouble of having the ped fill out a dosing schedule for childcare (other than longterm).

I do not feel guilty for having "inconvenienced" them at all. It is their child. I have followed many a difficult dosing schedule for my kids. Honestly, though, not many antibiotics are dosed 3-4 times a day anymore. Peds know non-compliance is HUGE with those....they breed superbugs.