View Single Post
Missani 12:13 PM 03-28-2011
I don't have a problem being tested. Test me if you want to, but you will need to pay for it and provide back up care for the children while I go.

And, I agree, I am the employer. I am governed by my state through my county, and I am required to follow their rules and laws. I am not required to follow my client's rules. If they would like my services, then they can follow my rules. If not, they can find another child care situation. That is fine with me. If they would LIKE me to take a drug test (as opposed to REQUIRE me to take a drug test which they do not get to make that decision), then I will as long as the above requirements are met.

It's probably time to start testing all elementary, middle, and high school teachers and school employees as well, as surely your (OP) child will someday be in school. You'd better test all coaches, swimming instructors, music and dance teachers, etc. as your child may someday want to do an exracurricular activity. Heaven forbid if you are religious, you'd better start testing all clergy, church staff, high school/college and parent volunteers as your child may want to attend a church activity or class someday. And, let's not forget about all of the parents of your child's friends because your child might want to play at a friend's house someday...they may even want to sleep over in which case you'd better do all siblings/extended family/etc. that may visit the friend's home. Oh, and don't forget about all college employees and students, because surely your child will be in college someday. And once your child is 16, you'd better do all people on the road because he/she will be driving. Then, once your child is allowed to go places alone or with friends, you'd better do all mall employees, restaurant workers, movie theater employees, and all people who ever go out to a public place. Am I missing anyone?

The fact of the matter is that someday, somehow, somewhere your child IS going to be away from you. While I don't mind taking a drug test like I allow a background study, it will be impossible to cover drug testing for every person your child may encounter while you are not there directly supervising. In order to parent, you are going to have to let go a little bit. I understand being a cautious parent, but I don't think you can let it get in the way of allowing your child to grow up. If you can't let go a little bit, you will have to limit your choices to people who will meet your demands, or put your child in a bubble. Otherwise you'd better just plan to spend the next 18 or more years of your life directly supervising your child and not allowing school or any other activities.

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to be practical.