View Single Post
Hunni Bee 08:05 PM 09-11-2011
Why is nap-time always looked at as torture to the children and just an excuse for providers to get rid of the children?

If a three-year-old gets up at 6 am, they are going to be out of their mind with sleep by 1 pm after talking, playing, going outside, eating and being in such an intense environment (other 3 year olds) for 6 hours. To not give that child a chance to rest is cruel. And if other children are up playing and talking, that child will find it hard to nap, plus they will try to push past their sleepiness to stay up because they don't want to "miss out". The result is a crying, irritable mess come 4 pm.

That being said, if a child is not tired, no amount of making them lie on a cot will make them be quiet and go to sleep. So its pointless to try and make them do it. All thats going to happen is the teacher will wake the other children by constantly speaking to the child thats not tired. So we compromise. They lie down for 30 minutes so that just in case they are sleepy they can go on to sleep (which happens most of the time) and to allow the other children to drift off without disturbance. Then if the child still isnt sleepy, then they can get up and draw, do a puzzle or some other quiet activity.

Plus, parents expect for the room/toys/restrooms to be clean, paperwork to be done, their phone calls returned, etc. We should not be doing those things while we supposed to be supervising and interacting with the children, nor will most of us be paid to stay after hours and do them. So they are done at nap. I have NEVER gone on this forum while I had children in my care.

Lastly, consider the high-intensity environment of being in an enclosed space with 8-12 young children all day. Even with the most well-behaved group, its physically and mentally draining. And since most of us (especially those of us who work at centers) do not have a perfectly behaved group and are operating at max ratios, its even more intense. You want us to have a break, believe me. I don't even get a "lunch break" where I go away from the children and do what I want. My break is a quiet, dim room with calming music playing and not having to talk or supervise 10 children separately. Thats all I ask for...but I do ask for and need it.