View Single Post
Unregistered 09:45 AM 04-11-2011
Luckily the crisis was averted. :-) I'm near DC too, and had two of my four Daycare parents come to me on friday saying they would be furloughed this week and would keep their kids home with them, and did they have to pay fees.

I didnt know what to do. After some soul searching, I decided this.

I was going to offer their vacation early. I offer one weeks vacation per year for each family that they dont have to pay fees. But only after they have been in care for 6 months. Both are under the 6 months, but I was going to offer that they could take it now, but then couldnt use it again until 2012. I was also going to offer to defer their payments until after the shutdown was over.

I wasnt going to let them just not pay fees because they didnt have to go into work. But I was also sympathetic to the situation. Both families were active duty military, so their husbands would not get paid, and the spouses were government workers, so they wouldnt get paid either. I couldnt, in good faith, expect them to continue to pay fees for daycare with neither of them getting a paycheck. Hopefully it doesnt happen again, and it wont ever be an issue.