View Single Post
JenNJ 11:53 AM 06-12-2013
I agree that kids all have different needs, but in reality it is about what the majority of kids in a group need. If 4/5 kids need to nap, then that one child being awake disrupts the others. I don't know ANY child who can remain quiet for 2+ hours per day unless they are asleep. So quiet activities aren't going to work.

My children are here each day and I require my own 4.5 year old to nap each day. She sleeps 3+ hours, my longest napper. Ans she is asleep each night at 8:30pm each night. She can stay up easily and skip nap, but its not what is best for the group of kids, so she must nap. During the summer when my school aged son is here, he must sleep or go outdoors during nap so he doesn't disturb the others. He isn't able to stay quiet that long every afternoon.

While I understand not all kids need naps or that not all parents want their child to nap, the choice is ultimately up to the parent. They can make that choice by finding a preschool, center, provider, family member or nanny who agrees not to have the child nap.