View Single Post
Unregistered 11:45 AM 08-22-2013
I just stumbled across this post and figured I would add to it. At my current Center we have different nap times for different ages. I'm with 3 year olds and they have nap scheduled from 11:30-1:30. Does that work? No. Do we all take our lunches during that time? No. The other day I arrived at work before 7 and was given a break 2:30-3:30. That hour is the ONLY time during the day I can sit down. We're not allowed to sit outside, can't have a desk to sit at while the kids are working at the table (and my group never even does that anyway) and maybe possibly sit during circle time (again these kids won't sit at all so I'm standing 9 hours out of 10 working ones with no second of rest. I have no assistant to help with anything,
If kids need to go to the bathroom we have to wait until everyone is ready (some arrive late and are still eating at 8:30 while others ate at 7:30 and need to go potty). After nap we have to wait until everyone is awake so we can go as a group. Even in there it's a constant go because of everything they are doing. At lunch we eat in the gym/cafeteria and are serving them and they always want more something. These kids kick me and scream at me and throw things at me. They tell me no and hey don't have to. Today I felt horrible but went to work anyway because I know we're short staffed. The director said she'd let me leave if she could find someone. Parents asked if I felt ok. Kids were asking. It wasn't until I nearly passed out on the playground that I was finally sent home. I can barely talk my throat is bright red and one teacher said she thinks I have strep throat. I had fever and feel awful. After getting home and being able to put my feet up I felt better. Now this isn't supposed to be a pity post. I'm just saying that many times we feel we have no choice but to be there because there is no one to cover us. Same as how sometimes we just need a moment to rest. I've heard so many parents say it can't be that hard - I have a 3 year old - but do they have 14-15? I live in Texas and the law states that I can have 15 by myself. At 4 years it's 18:1 ratio. I don't care who you are but that's a lot to handle. By nap time I need a moment. And so do the kids. By 10 they're all crying and cranky. If they don't nap they start falling asleep during centres around 4 or 5. I've had several who sit down start crying and screaming and fall asleep. During the nap time that is our prep time. To do our room newsletters lesson plans and any other prep. No sitting down or having a moment to relax. I understand parents needs but at the same time they need to understand exactly what we do during the day.