View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 05:05 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Benadryl can be given to children under the age of 6 with a dr's recommendation. My children have had hives and allergic reaction and needed Benadryl. One is 7, almost 8, and has to have Benadryl & an Epi-PenJr with us at all times due to his bee sting allergy. If he was in childcare I would need to have those with him, just like at school and with the proper paperwork.

Also, the whole Tylenol/Motrin before and even after shots has been ended as a practice. They're finding the immunizations aren't as effective when the body's reaction is minimized and/or altered. If baby develops a **high** fever you can treat that, but they don't recommend just giving it as precaution anymore for discomfort or pain.
FYI here in my state they most certainly do still recommend Tylenol BEFORE shots (2 hrs before) and ibuprofen for discomfort or fever afterwards. It's not just private physicians recommending it. It's the HEALTH DEPARTMENT also. Matter of fact, the FIRST thing they ask BEFORE giving the immunization a is to be sure you DID in fact give the Tylenol. If not, they offer it there.