Thread: Non Payment
View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 08:14 AM 08-29-2012
I personally wouldn't have let it slide either. The one month's notice is not the norm in my area however I have heard of providers requiring a 1 month notice in writing. Two week's notice is more common, in either case the parent would still have had to pay for the two weeks.

Sounds to me that the parents are "happy" with the "new arrangement" because they got exactly what they wanted ... not to have to pay for the termination penalty. Don't count on them keeping up with "new arrangement" should they pull their other child out later when you've already altered the contract once for them. Still to be better prepared have the parents both sign a contract that says everything that happened and what your wife told them. How they terminated without the propper notice, the date of termination, how they refused to pay the termination fee, if they don't give propper notice for the 2nd child they get charged for both kids etc. and attach a copy of the original policy. Make sure you add the part that says you waived the original termination fee but only if they gave proper notice of termination for the 2nd.

You might want to think about lowering your terminiation notice period to 2 weeks instead of 4 weeks (totally your call) and requiring that each client pays a 2 week deposit before starting which will cover their last 2 weeks of childcare. This way if they ever just spring up and pull their child suddenly the 2 week period is already paid for. I only say 2 week termination period because paying a 4 week deposit is hard for most people. Even a 2 week deposit is difficult to pay in full all at once for my clients so I allow some of them to pay it in $50 payments. Just a thought