View Single Post
jessrlee 07:18 PM 02-07-2011
IF I were you to START I would get:

Toys (blocks, play food, cars, dolls) Personally what I did was I went to several garage sales and bought that huge tub of toys they usually have marked at .10 to .25 each. I just offered up $5 and every time they took it. Half of the toys were junk but I got a ton of cars and little people that way!

Do your interviews with just a small tub of toys available in the living room by the couch. Tell the parents that you are just starting out, and you want to see what ages you enroll so your materials with def. work for the kiddos.

When I first started I did a hard sell on "I reinvest 20% of my income directly back into the daycare. Meaning your child will directly benefit from new toys, art supplies, and equipment" This got me a ton of clients! Cheerfully acknowledge that you don't have much equipment yet, BUT that you will soon.

You usually have a 1-2 week grace period before kiddos start. I always wait for the paperwork drop off to purchase new equipment if I need it. If worse comes to worse you can bungle through a week or so till you have everything you want.

The biggies are
1. anything you need for licensing. safety stuff, etc.
2. sleeping- you can get mats at discount school supply for $10. They are a nice quality. Cots are better and look more professional. Check with your licensing dept. on the PNP thing. Mine discourages it, but they are not outlawed yet.
3. Toys- start with the basics and build your stash. Garage sales are my best friend! I have a few big items that I bought full retail(Gigantic step 2 kitchen, train table, storage bin shelf, art supplies, tangrams, white boards), everything else is garage sale, or re purposed from my kiddos as they grow out of them.
4. then work your way into child sized equipment. tables and chairs (I got 3 sets at target for $35 each. they are card tables and chairs but a much nicer quality than I thought they would be)

Put the work out on freecycle, and to family and friends that you want their old baby equipment, toys etc. I got a ton of stuff that way!

Here is an album of my daycare pics: http://lovablelambs.webs.com/apps/ph...bumid=10906454