View Single Post
Missani 12:08 PM 08-17-2011
Okay, I know a lot of you live in Minnesota, so I really need an answer to this one! My first renewal is coming up soon (before Oct. 1), and I know that fire extinguishers need to be "serviced" annually. What does that mean and how does one do that?

I assume they probably check the pressure, etc. but who does it? I asked my licensor and she said that if you attend trainings, a lot of them will have someone who can do it before or after. I guess I attend the wrong trainings then, because I've never heard of that.

So, I called a local fire extinguisher company and they acted like I was crazy. They told me that they only service the fire extinguishers that they go out and put (by contract) in companies. They told me to contact the maker of my extinguisher but acted like I was crazy and didn't really need this done.

Then, I called the 800 number for the maker of my fire extinguisher (Kidde) and they told me they couldn't help me. So, then I called Resources for Child Caring, and they told me to call my licensor. Full circle.

So, anyway, it clearly says we need to do this annually in the rule book and the application I filled out for renewal asked if I had done it and when, so I can't be the only person who has had this question. WHERE THE HECK DO YOU "SERVICE" YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER? I do NOT want to spend another $85 to buy a new one every year, but that is looking like my only option (too much $$ and what a waste of my perfectly good one that I have). So, if you know the answer, I would greatly appreciate it!