View Single Post
originalkat 04:20 PM 08-10-2010
A few things to consider...
I have worked (as a Teacher and Director) in preschools, centers, and I now have a home daycare/Preschool. From my experiences, I think homes offer the best environment for young children (my opinion). Centers can often be large and impersonal. Ask the director about the teachers in the classrooms. One of the complaints I would get in the centers was that the lead techer would go home at 3 or 4pm and then they would hire teenagers or part-time workers to "close" the classrooms. They also often combine classes at the end of the days so they can send teachers home early when they get within ratio. I feel that is a lot of daily transition for young children. Also there tends to be a high turnover rate in the centers because of low pay etc... So ask the Director about that as well.

Some options might be...
1. If it works with your schedule you might put her in a 1/2 day preschool program 2-3 times per week. A traditional preschool will offer more of a classroom enviroment than a center.
2. Try looking for another home daycare that has a more educational/structured program. I run a preschool/home daycare and only take 2 1/2-5 year olds. My daycare area is set up like a classroom. This works for me and I market to parents looking for those preschool features but still want to continuity of care and a home-like environment.

Good Luck in finding the best place for your child!