View Single Post
jen 06:37 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Yvonne:
So be it.
If someone has random drug testing to drive a truck for the Dept of Transportation to ensure public safety ... and bus drivers who drive our school busses. But you disagree on random drug testing for child care workers ? Come on. Get real. It is the responsibility of parents to ensure the safety of their children. Plain and simple. Glad to ruffle some feathers here.
But ya know... as a point of reference. Only 10 people had an opinion - so far - and 10 people do not constitute any majority in my book. So please .. if you have an opinion, try to not personalize your opinions - we're not talking about YOU having a drink after work.... who here actually spoke about the symptoms of addiction? Loss of control, loss of focus and patience, lack of good/sound judgement, inability concentrate, etc. These are all vital in caring for children who frequently act impulsively, become unruly - testing any normal rational adult into check their reactions.

I don't care if you have a drink after dinner. This doesn't make you an alcoholic. But did you know it takes one hour per ounce of alcohol to be broken down by the liver So if you have a bottle of wine after work, it can take as long as 3 hours to be out of your system... go do the math. Or take meds prescribed by your doctor. Opiates (pain killers) show up on drug tests. Marijuana shows up on drug tests. If you have a valid prescription, fine. If you have a problem - and you know your company performs random drug testing, then guess what ??? you probably won't want to work there. Drug testing acts as a deterrent. Works for me.

Get a Nanny ? Get real. I want to be able to send my child to a place where I know Negligence due to Drug abuse can be ruled out. Not guaranteed, but ruled out as a potential hazard. Like putting plugs in light sockets that babies can reach. Good old, smart preventative measures.
LOL... I didn't reply because your post fails on several levels...let's go...

First of all, the tone of your post isn't going to win anyone over. If you want to be successful in your campaign, try being a bit more personable.

Now for the practicalities...

There are approximately 1,300,000 people employed as a Child Care Workers in the United States. The average price per drug test nationally is about $44 per test. Let's say we test 20% of the total daycare workforce annually, that is 260,000 employees at a rate of $44 each, for a total of $1,1440,000 annually. Of course, that is in addition to the pre-employment drug testing that already exists in a number of settings.

That is ONLY the cost of the test itself. Who exactly is going to oversee this great idea? The government? How much will that cost the tax payers? Can we even begin to afford the government programs that we already have in place? What should get rid of to pay for it?

Another consideration...you can only regulate licensed providers. How many providers will just say forget it on principle and either discontinue services or beging to do unlicensed care. What will that do to the price of daycare, not to mention overall oversight? Less providers equals higher costs, more unlicensed care means less oversight, not more.

You clearly have very specific needs and some trust issues. Find yourself a nanny or family member who you trust.

http://www.studentscholarships.org/p...re_workers.php

http://www.ohsinc.com/DRUG_TESTING_C..._TEST_COST.htm