View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 08-16-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
Funny you say that. I actually cut the mom off the other day when she started to answer for the kid when I asked her something. I felt rude but I felt like " I fully expect you at 35 to know the answer- let your 3 year old tell me"
I honestly would probably not have come to that conclusion myself if I hadn't had this child since age 12 months. But I have slowly watched the process happen over the last 2 years and have paid attention to what happens when mom and child are here at the same time....

The second the child pauses or shows any kind of hesitation the mom is literally right there... my older daycare kids notice it too.

Somewhere around 2.5 I noticed the child starting to just stop in the middle of something and just sit. Not ask for help, not try, no do anything but just sit (I think they were waiting for mom to swoop in).

Once I waited and waited to see how long the child would sit and do nothing and I have to say, I was floored because they waited for a long time...never once trying or asking myself or peers for help.

I've talked with mom about it and although she recognizes how this behavior is delaying her child, she says she just can't stop. She said she doesn't know what is and isn't appropriate to help or assist.

I've given her TONS of ideas, support and education about it and although she tries for a while, she ends up giving in and going back to her old ways after a day or two.

I just don't have the energy or time to continue supporting/assisting her when she won't even meet me half way.

Is your DCK an only or a first born?