View Single Post
MaritimeMummy 06:00 AM 07-29-2012
In my opinion, if your children are sleeping those two hours, they NEED it, and aren't being FORCED into anything.

here at my day care, all my kids must have a rest period of 30 minutes. They lay on their mats during that time with a blanket and a look quietly at books. If they fall asleep during that time, they needed it, and I allow them to sleep as long as they need without taking them up, whether that is 20 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, or 3 hours. I stop being quiet in the house after 2 hours so the children can rouse on their own, but I NEVER go in and wake up a sleeping child by telling them it's time to get up.

If they don't fall asleep during that time, they can get up and play quietly.

So again, if your children are sleeping, it doesn't matter their ages, they needed it. You can't force a person (baby, child, or even adult) to sleep if they don't want/need it.

I also agree with the others who say that dropping in at naptime is not acceptable.

Was this not something that was discussed during the interview process? Was it not clearly defined in a parent handbook or contract? What exactly were your expectations? Did you lay them out to the provider? Providers cannot read minds. If she is allowing them time to sleep and they sleep, and she doesn't know that you don't want them to sleep, she can't possibly know that you're angry and will continue doing it.

And yes, it's legal. You can't withhold sleep from a child who needs it. THAT is illegal.