View Single Post
jen 10:24 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I try schedual activities after 530pm (I close at 5pm) so that way I get them to activities. My dh can pick up and drive when needed, but since most of the kids leave at 4pm the ones that are left I can take with me if I have too. My kids get home after 4pm from school so they know when they get home, they sit at the table and start homework, I make them do all they can do in their homework, and then I go back and help them out. My dc area is on one floor with my living space, so I can sit at the dining table and help my kids out and still watch the kids. I think it comes down to time management, you have to find a way to make it work and that families always pick up on time.
You are very fortunate to be able to plan the times of their activities. That isn't something we really have control of. We've tried 3 different gymnastics clubs, including community ed and they ALL start well before 5pm. No choices for tutoring either... I close at 5pm as well, although I do keep one kiddo until 5:30pm, but he's a school-ager and I don't mind bringing him along or dropping him off at home if we need to be somewhere.

My community might be a bit different too. The avage income in Minnesota is $55,616, but the avage income in our MN community is $80,735. There is a HUGE percentage of stay at home Mom's in our area. The schools, gymnastics, karate (my son was an advanced brown belt before he quit ) none of them need to cater to the after 5 crowd, they can easily fill up on just the SAHMS.

It also makes competition for daycare providers pretty tight. We can charge a bit more, $150/week easy, but you have to provide a lot more as well. I do 3 different activity teachers per month + organic foods. My parents would fall over if I was doing homework with my own kids when they showed up.