View Single Post
Carole's Daycare 12:24 PM 01-27-2010
I typically charge $10/week higher than DSS pays. I do offer second child discounts for cash pay in advance families. It does dissuade some DSS clients, but not all. They simply have to pay the difference in my rate and what the county pays in advance along with their copay. My husband being a cop and having the local county child protection worker's children in my care keeps away the real bad apples, but I have had and do have families who get laid off etc. When that happens they are pay in advance, so they pay their two weeks notice, and I give them the option to use it up, or save those 10 days for space available drop in "mental health days" or job search, interview and first days back on the job waiting for pay situations. I have kept some of the same families for 6 years, most at least 2 or 3, but I get maybe one new family per year based on moving up to school age, moving out of town etc. I haven't raised my rates in several years either due to the economy. My area, according to our local resource and referral, has twice the number of daycares and twice the number of openings as a city 3 times our size a couple hours away. Technically there is a real glut in the market, so to speak, so parents have a lot of choices. In addition we have several centers. Most of our area churches have a daycare run out of their nursery/childrens church areas during the week, as well as a few non-church centers. Of the home providers, I am one of about 40 that have anything beyond a HS education. I am also one of the very few that offer a truly exceptional preschool program and have the training to back it up. I have talked to my families about the economy, how my costs have increased and my rates have not, so they are willing to contribute craft supplies, outgrown toys, and occasionally a mom brings a gallon of milk or canned fruit that she had "extra". At this point I dont think if I raised by rates a few dollars anyone would leave that is here, although it might dissuade newcomers if I needed them. Over 30% of our county's population is classified as "working poor". I just know my families can't afford it, so instead I'm looking for ways to increase my profitability by cutting costs without compromising the quality of our program.