View Single Post
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:52 PM 01-28-2010
Yes unfortunately, we are required by law to bleach surfaces. This includes tables that they eat at. We have to bleach these tables each time before we can serve their meals/snacks on them. After we spray the water & bleach solution, we are not allowed to wipe it off; It must air dry. Before it is dry one 2 yr old in particular has rubbed against it, or climbed on top before it has a chance to throughly dry. Though we watch as closely as possible to prevent this, it does happen sometimes, as the other children require care as well. Same thing for the changing pad. After we change one child's diaper, we have to spray it with the water/bleach solution before changing the next child. With 5-7 children in diapers, there is not enough time to wait for it to completely dry before changing the next one. We have had one parent complain to us about her 2 yr old's clothes getting bleached, so all we can do in his case is place him in his playpen while we're waiting for the table to dry, which to me, doesn't seem fair to this child, but that's what his parents agreed for us to do (as for the changing pad, his parents supply his own little pad to place on top of the one we have so his clothes won't get bleached). The best thing I could recommend is always send your child to daycare in old clothes, as by law we HAVE to use this bleach/water solution, so bleach stains are going to happen, as irritating as it is. Most of my clothes also have bleach stains on them (despite my best efforts to avoid it), so I understand how frustrating it can be.