View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 04:27 PM 11-04-2009
Ok, I realize that this person is unregistered and they chose to hide behind that label for a reason. I do find my self frustrated with this post. I am licensed and have mixed feelings about being licensed.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
1.I just turned in a resident in my town for operating an unlicensed daycare - I inspect daycares in Massachusetts as part of my job. This woman and her husband own a nice home and have two college kids. He, the husband works outside the home, full-time and she has five or six unrelated daycare kids at her house full time, Monday thru Friday. She has a pool, not fenced in and an unfenced yard. 2.Here in Mass., daycare rules are very strict, for a reason - the state runs Cori and Sori checks, inspects playground equipment - pools, everything! In Mass you also have to carry hefty liability insurance which is expensive. The State promptly came to her house and shut her down. (I knew she was unlicensed because I did my homework and called the State first) 3.I hope she incurred a hefty fine as well. 4.Who in their right mind would run an unlicensed daycare and care for other's children? 5.Full-time daycare in Mass. runs $300 and up per child - I'd like to make about 60 to 70K, tax free, per year. 6.My son, who is in college, pays 43k per year to go to school - my husband and I have taken out huge loans to help him out and we both work full time and pay huge taxes. 7.It's called greed, plain and simple and a lot of people think they are above the law. 8.Shame on the parents of these children, as well, for not checking to see if this daycare was licensed in the first place. 9.I stewed for about a year about this before I called the state. There is no excuse for this.
1.I find it very hard to believe that any person now a days has a pool that is not fenced in an unfenced yard. That is merely a law suit waiting to happen. Not to mention every neighborhood critter would be in that pool. Although, wondering if this is a technicality. I too have a pool and an unfenced yard. My pool at the deepest isn't even 8 inches. We have a yard that is over 5 acres, and the play area is behind the house which is over 100 yards from the road.

2.What are Cori and Sori checks? Most states require you to carry daycare liability insurance in order to be licensed. And honestly it's not that expensive. I paid less than $300 for a very large detailed policy.

3.It is not very nice of you to wish ill against someone else!! As a matter of fact, it seems rather childish.

4.Lots of people run unlicensed day-cares for others' children. When I used to live in Oregon I worked in a different town from where I lived. I had a friend who watched my daughter 3 days a week and I watched her three girls one day a week. It was a great barter. I wasn't licensed and neither was she.

5.How do you know they don't pay taxes? Do you work for the IRS? Have you audited them?

6.First off, congrats to your son for going to college. Lots of people go to college. The woman who's daycare you had shut down had TWO college aged children. There are ways to pay for college without taking out loans, believe me I know. I was a single mom, living on my own and managed to pay my own way through college without ever having to take out a single student loan. There are grants, scholarships, not to mention government/military benefits that are amazing. The military actually PAID me to go to college. When I factored in the GI bill along with the tuition reimbursement if I kept my grades above a C. Not only did it cover my tuition and book costs, I had extra money in my pocket. Plus I had a part-time job one weekend a month and two weeks a year. You shouldn't have to pay huge taxes at the end of the year if you have a good accountant. There should be education credits you qualify for, among other things. No pity from me to you.

7.I wouldn't call making a living greed. Well, maybe you're right, maybe it is greed, but no more so than the next person. It's the want of material items; a house, food, clothing, electricity. If one wasn't greedy and could learn to live without these things then they wouldn't have to work for that $$.

8.Apparently the parents felt their children were safe in this environment, otherwise they wouldn't have left them in that lady's care... I wouldn't shame the parents.

9.I would say shame on you instead. Why did it take you about a year to decide this wasn't a safe place for children. You said in the beginning that you inspect day-cares as part of your job. Wouldn't that require you to notify the state immediately if something was unsafe or there was a problem with a daycare?

Ugh!!!