View Single Post
Familycare71 11:13 AM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hmm, this is a little disappointing to hear. Especially the comment from the daycare provider about not working with the parent to tweak the nap schedule in order to assist the parents at night (except she was much more blunt in saying "I'm not going to change what I'm doing to make it easier on the parents during the evening!"). Obviously working parents need the support of daycare providers and the approach to child care should be partnered and lock-step. While I totally get that daycare providers need a break, what they fail to realize is that they can sometimes be putting their own needs above the needs of the child. As a parent who has a child in daycare, I completely understand the need for my daycare provider to get a break during the day and that this usually happens at nap time. What they may fail to understand is that every child is different. While my oldest napped daily until four years old and still went to bed and woke at a decent hour, my youngest needs much less sleep and his schedule needs to be tweaked to accommodate his developmental changes. When my youngest naps too long during the day, he ends up falling asleep much later that night, then waking during the night and waking very early. Because of this, he is missing sleep and then needs to catch up on that sleep during the day where he takes an even longer nap (which daycare is all too happy to allow) thus making he fall asleep even later and wake even later and on and on. It becomes a vicious cycle. I think that comment about "well if the child is sleeping then he NEEDS a nap" is a total cop-out and is very short-sighted. Yes, in the moment, given everything else that is going on, yes, in that moment he needs a nap. But if his naps were to be tweaked somewhat, he'd have an easier time falling asleep and staying asleep and would get the total number of hours that he needs. This isn't about making it easier for the daycare provider during the day or easier for the parent in the evenings, it's about making sure that the child is well rested and has a schedule that suits them. Maybe this means capping the nap, or skipping it every other day until a new routine is established. This unwillingness to work together with the parent and instead get very defensive and only think about how this change may affect the daycare provider is extremely disappointing and selfish on the part of the daycare provider. Enough so that I will be switching my daycare provider in the next month. Hopefully there are providers out there who really do care about the child's needs and not their daily "break".
I'm assuming you are talking about my comment that was slightly misquoted ...
I do not force a child to nap. I also do not make them lay for hours so sleep from "boredom". When a child is laid down with books for a half an hour and falls asleep- IMO that child needs sleep.
I find it interesting you don't see providers complain: Gee I wish parents would keep their kids up at night so we could have longer nap times! I would find that a selfish statement! Instead I hear: the child isn't functioning, behaving or able to reach their maximum ability due to lack of rest. It is also the same children that seem to be ill often.
Yes- I enjoy nap time. Even when their are kids awake (because they no longer require a nap) because there is less going on and I can mentally recharge and get some things done too. I do not "force" kids to sleep (which I believe is impossible anyway) so I can have my break. I do schedule down time in my day for it however- I think it's good planing.
I work extremely closely with my families in the care of their children! The children are my main priority!! They also know with holding sleep is something I will not do..
And with all that said- I look forward to seeing you on here as a provider - if you can't beat 'em join 'em - is how the saying goes! Good luck with out the quiet time!