View Single Post
nannyde 04:02 PM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by BABYLUVER:
This is a very tragic situation. But the comments in the articles were ridiculous! Did the provider do wrong? IDK I'm not an expert in laws in that state. But did those wrongdoings have any affect on THIS situation? Not that I can see.

Now the things that didn't help her case but did not CAUSE the infant's death:
1. Being over ratio---I know people who have larger centers with just 2 caregivers and even some parents with more kids. No problems simply due to #'s
2. The dose of acetaminophen for the age of child (let's assume normal weight for age) was not wrong from what I can see
3. Misplacing an info card does not cause the death of a child. I knew every one of my children without looking at a card. I would KNOW if they were allergic to something (unless they were not previously exposed, but that's no different than any other situation) and simply not give it to them. The provider I have for my kids now knows my daughter is allergic to milk, my son allergic to nuts (severely), my other son has Hirschprung's syndrome and sensory disorders, another child has to have her tr-ache tube cleaned and she has to be fed, another child has frequent infections, and her own has brittle bone syndrome, and she still takes on an infant who she's had since age 6 weeks and several other kids. I've seen her with 11 at once. She KNOWS every kid because she takes special needs kids and does not need to look at a card to know them. She's just THAT good at taking proper precautions.
4. The fact that no one checked on baby for 1 hour. When I went to sleep at night, I sure did not get up to check on my children. The thing is? If I was already getting up, Id check. If I thought I had a feeling they needed checked, I checked. There were many times that was over an hour. With daycare, I did it in my house and we were all in one room so I was just there anyway. However, keep in mind, death comes fast and quick so she could have checked 5 minutes before and the child could have seemed fine, only to pass later and nothing anyone could do about it. Life isn't promised to ANYONE, and while it's sad, it's not a cause of death. Should she have checked? Sure. I would have if it were my daycare kids.

The things that (possibly) could have caused the baby to die: (Remembering cause of death has not been released):
1. Since no permission card from parent to administer medications, the child could have been unknowingly overdosed (i.e. parent dosed then provider dosed). The parent wouldn't say anything because she'd assume that since nothing was ever agreed upon for administering meds, that meds would not be administered. Whereby the provider should have had the foresight to contact the parent to obtain permission. EVEN WHEN I had permission to administer (whatever meds listed/dose/route/dr. signatures/parent signatures) I always called the parents first. There WERE 2 times I offered to administer tylenol or motrin, and the parent gave me info that vital information they'd done it. OK. That calling gave me the info I needed to make a decisions: USUALLY it was parent came to grab the kids. Since they pre-medicated, obviously it wasn't working and the child(ren) needed to be home. Also, there was ONE time, a parent forgot her medication form and I remembered her child was taking teething tablets. I had no form, but we (at that time) were allowed to obtain verbal permission with instructions. So I could call her, get the dose, route, time, etc and write it down and let her sign when she picked up. However, it seems this provider didn't do EITHER. That could have caused the child's death.
2. An unexplained condition of the child (undiagnosed heart condition, lung condition, blood clot) could have caused the death
3. SIDS (which kind of goes hand in hand with 2)

I can't tell if the provider did something to CAUSE the death or if it's just a tragic accident and then she was found doing other things (unrelated to the death, but related to the safety of her daycare)....it's all a bit strange.
The comments were from the dhs inspection that happened that day and the following day. September 10 and 11

They HAVE to do a complete inspection and document noncompliances. They don't know at the day of death what caused it. They don't know how the smallest of details may put the puzzle together. They also want a declaration of the series of events before there is time to build a story.

I think it's phenomenal that they were able to get there so quickly and go the next day.