View Single Post
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
part of the stuff I am reading:

He’ll act like he’s going to throw a temper tantrum in the store. And then you have a choice: deal with that temper tantrum or buy him a candy bar. Most parents buy the candy bar, which increases the probability this behavior will occur again. I understand why parents give in. They reason, “Well, it's only a candy bar.” And I agree: I’ve got nothing against buying things for kids. But the bottom line is, how does your child go about getting that candy bar or comic book? Does he earn it with good behavior or buy it with his own allowance money? Or does he intimidate and bully you into giving in to him? If he’s doing the latter, you will probably see him act out in restaurants and other public places as well when he doesn't get his way. At home, he will threaten to have a tantrum or lose his temper to get more power over you.

Read more: http://www.empoweringparents.com/Ang...#ixzz2YaZd6Ua6
CLASSSIC example of a bad move on the parents part....the parent got immediate results (kid stopped crying in the store)

But the kid learned that he DOES have a viable method of controlling others and obtaining what he wants vs what he needs.

He needs to learn good/acceptable social behaviors but instead he learned that he can get what he wants by having a tantrum in public and mom/dad will do whatever it takes to keep him quiet.

He won't remember anything else other than, that tactic works and why change your behavior if it's working for you...