View Single Post
Play Care 10:04 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,
I am soo glad that I am not the only one dealing with this. I take care of a 6 month old and 18 month old, and the toddler is a holy terror when her mother comes to get her. She jumps on the couches (not allowed to even look at the couches during the day), chews on the baby's chew toys, touches ALL the no no's to include electrical outlets, scratches the baby's face or hit the dog, she has even gone so far as to break an irreplaceable item I had gotten while on vacation (I wanted to cry). I have since moved all of my breakables, since her mother doesn't seem fit to control her child for the small amount of time she's here during drop off and pick up. I use the term "small amount of time" very LOOSELY, as like all of your problem DCK parents she likes to chat and tell me all of her drama.
Everyone's suggestions are great, but I feel that the DCG is not able to comprehend any lectures or the sit and wait rule. What I need to control is the DCM, but I do not know how to go about saying it without hurting her feelings or me being rude. Because want I want to say is that "you telling her no is not working!" She is a young mother, and from what I see the DCG runs her life. The DCG is very mean to her DCM, when the DCM picks her she scratches her face and bites her shoulders, and all she says is oww you're so mean.
I know this is a long post, but your suggestions are greatly appreciated

Can you gate off your front door area? I used to do this so the kids had to be handed out and couldn't get back in. I usually would say "bye" and walk out of sight to the play room. Once the "audience" was gone they were usually fine. This works well with parents that may balk at the outside good bye.

If you can't do that, does the mom come around the same time each day? About 5 minutes before she comes have the dc girl and the sibling ready to go, meet mom at the door and hand them out with a "they had a great day, see you tomorrow!" I send home a daily note with each family so they can refer to that for any important information about their child - no need to sit and chat for twenty minutes while kids run wild.

I would suggest that if you are going to continue to care for children in your home, you make the set up as safe and efficient as possible to make things easier on YOU. If that means setting up some gates in certain areas, so be it. If it means moving breakable items out of the area, fine. Really, you will be so much happier when you get your set up to work for you, not against you.