Thread: How To Detach?
View Single Post
knoxmomof2 08:37 AM 01-13-2017
I've done this for just over 4 years now, I volunteered in the church nursery prior to that, and did caregiving for Seniors in their homes before that. My MIL suffered brain trauma from a car accident and I provided care for her for several years. I have always been able to stay detached.

In my position here, I care about them, I love them to a point, I want them to succeed- but this is business. I put a lot of myself into their care each day, I tolerate their parent's issues and inconsideration at times (within reason, of course) but when it comes down to it, if the money stopped- their presence in my life would also stop. That's how I see it.

I'm not their Mom and no matter what raving reviews their parents may give their friends/ family- I am still their "sitter" or their "child care provider" when it comes down to it. I actually love the fact that I can be in their lives and care for them each day without any of the bigger responsibilities or expense of raising them lol...and, I look forward to the day they move up with all of their knowledge and independence and I welcome a new little one (and a new set of parents with new issues and inconsiderations.. lol) into my home.

Just my two cents!