View Single Post
DancingQueen 10:29 AM 04-27-2011
I have one.
I posted about him before.
I made a deal with dad to text me when he's 5 or 10 minutes away and I have dcb get his shoes and coat on and sit on the bench by the door.

He still tries to get riled when his dad gets here because his dad STILL takes too long to get out of here but I've been really firm with him recently.

Last week before his dad got here I reminded him. "When your dad gets here I expect you to behave and wait patiently for your dad to finish talking to me. I don't want to see you running around breaking all of the rules of my house. OK?"

So he says yes and sure enough he started up the minute his dad got there. Got up from the bench and started up. So I held up a finger to his dad (who was ignoring his sons behavior and talking to me) and said "hang on a second" I turned to his son and I said "Do you remember what we talked about before your dad got here?"
He said "yes"
I said "but you still aren't following the rules are you?"
he said "no"
I said "now you'll need to sit down on that bench and remain quiet until your dad is ready to leave. tomorrow I will give you another chance but if you don't follow the rules during pick up time you'll have to sit like this every day when your dad comes to get you. Does that sound like much fun?"
him: "no"
me: "I didn't think so. Now have a seat and wait for daddy to be read"

Oddly enough - dad was ready to go instantly.

we did this two days in a row and now he is fine and dad also shortened pick ups. I got a two-fer!!!

I will add (because I'm not in denial) that my daughter acts up with him when it is pick up time and she was also told to sit down (on the opposite end of the room) until dcb left. And she was also told that she would be required to sit like that every day during every single pick up if she couldn't behave.

My parents respect my rules even if they don't always agree with them and so far no one has had a problem with me maintaining order with their children when they are here.