View Single Post
nannyde 09:36 AM 12-28-2010
Are you sure he is really trained? Have you had him for a long time.

When parents say the child isn't having accidents at home it may be that they are just saying words to you that save them money. Have you asked the kid if he wears pullups at home? It sounds like he may be switching from pullups to undies from his house to your house.

I would either have him wear pull ups or have him just play on a splat mat (you can use a cheap shower curtain from walmart) until he has a couple of successful weeks. If I had the kid and KNEW from his history that he had 1.5 years trained I would do splat mat. If I only knew the history based on parents "words" then he would go into pull ups until he was two weeks accident free.

One thing that really helps is to have them SIT on the potty (with his john thomas pointed downwards) and NOT get up until YOU say he can get up. Once a child doesn't have the decision of how long they sit they will often really relax and completely empty their bladder. If they have the option to get off and go play they can't resist just sqwooozing out a little pee and then getting out of Dodge and back to the action.

Have him sit for a good five minutes each time YOU send him to the potty. Go into the bathroom and say the words "okay now you can get up". A few days of him not having the ability to get off at will will usually settle them down to the point where they RELAX and completely empty the bladder.

Try to stand right outside the bathroom so you can hear if he's doinking around. If he is bouncing around he won't relax.

Oh and make sure he doesn't have any burning or any signs of a UTI.