View Single Post
Leanna 03:18 PM 07-02-2013
Parents: When you comment that your children never nap at home but sleep at child care because they are lulled to (or forced or bored or whatever the situation is), please remember that a day at child care is NOT equivalent to a day at home. At home they sleep in instead of getting up early and getting ready to go to child care. At home they are most relaxed and are watching tv, relaxing, etc. At child care they are busy ALL DAY. They are playing, interacting with the provider, playing outdoors, doing activities, etc. (I am not implying parents don't do these things with their children but it is a different level at child care). PLUS at child care they are constantly surrounded by peers and that is a lot of stimulation in and of itself. A day at child care is much more busy and tiring than a day at home. It is very possible that they are more in need of a nap on child care days.
Our state requires that we provide a rest period for every child. It also says that rest times cannot be excessive and that provisions must be made for children who cannot sleep. In my program, the all of the children are required to lay down for the first thirty minutes. Even those that don't nap need this quiet time to relax their bodies and minds. It also gives me time to get the other children to sleep. After the first half and hour anyone who is till awake get a small tote of quiet toys & materials to play with. They are expected to stay on or near their cots and not to disturb the other children. Also, they are expected to play alone at this time.
This policy works well for me. I think it strikes a good balance.