View Single Post
AnythingsPossible 08:03 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We live in a town that was pretty much built around a pulp and paper plant....if we go there and ask, they will give us the wood chips for free. I don't know if that is an option for the different places in the country but if you are near one; it doesn't hurt to ask. I would also check with wood workers and/or furniture companies or landscapers who may have woodchips as a by-product as they sometimes have to pay to get rid of it. My DH is a wood worker and he gives sawdust to anyone who needs it for mulch, crafts, whatever....they just ask.

We also got a whole bunch of wood chips from our city landscapers as they pruned and chipped the trees and branches along the city streets.
I called our local tree trimmers when I wanted to mulch in our play area. They were going to charge me $150.00 for a load of chipped up trees. They told me people do it all the time for play areas. When it was delivered, there were large sticks still mixed in and it was very coarse. I had my licensor come look at it and she told me I couldn't use it. So it had to be hauled back out. Luckily after calling the tree company, I didn't have to pay for it but the time it cost me was ridiculous.

If you go this route, check the quality before they deliver the full load!!