View Single Post
Heidi 12:42 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Well I definately try not to be rude but with the internet you never know how things come across!! Have you read the book yet? Maybe you need to be more open minded so it makes more sense? I'm not sure

There are going to be people that disagree with him so maybe you just disagree which is fine too, i just wouldn't want you to disagree but miss his point because you don't fully understand what he's saying.

I watched a documentary once where a high school was so worried about their students poor grades they started offering $$ to go to class and get good grades. At the end, the person who got the best grades got a limo ride to grad and all expenses paid for a meal at a restaurant for all their friends etc. Everyone thought this was gonna work and all the teachers were so excited. At the end of the year none of the grades had changed. They changed in the beginning but slowly went back to normal because the work wasn't worth the $$ being paid to the students. I wish I could remember the name of it!!!

Oh I TOTALLY agree with that part of it. I have 2 kids on a sticker system that their mom insisted on, and I HATE it.

No, the part that I hyper-focused on was the where he suggested we are manipulating the children with our praise. I agree that we are, I just don't think that it's wrong to do it. Specifically, when it comes to behaviors.

I also agree that it's better to say "tell me about your picture" or "you used a lot of different colors" than "WOW, THIS SHOULD HANG IN THE GUGGENHEIM< YOU ARE AN AMAZING ARTIST!"...lol....