View Single Post
heyhun77 04:13 PM 01-31-2011
I have to say that here in ND if we stayed inside when it was 45 or less we'd never get to go outside for at least half the year. With the appropriate gear kids can go outside every day for at least a short period of time. We go out as long as the windchill is -10 or higher. Of course we're not out for long periods of time at that temp but it's good for the kids to get some fresh air and move their muscles and don't forget all the active movement time they are getting as they put on snowpants, boots, coats, hats and mittens. Last week we ended the week in the high 20's above with snow melting slightly and we were out at least 3 hours each day enjoying the nice winter day. I know that climates differ but even the kids in Alaska go outside each day, they just wear the appropriate clothing for the weather. As someone else typed, a lot of parents dress their kids in "driving" clothing and don't always think about playing outside. As for kids with colds being outside, fresh air is good for everyone. It's even advised to open your windows in the winter to bring in fresh air. I do this most days during nap time for at least 10 minutes.