View Single Post
Meeko 10:02 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
My assistant tells me when the kid comes back the next day I should sit him in the time out chair for 10 minutes right away and remind him what he did the day before. I don't think they will always remember tho.
He remembers perfectly well!

He "remembers" to act like an animal each day at pick up, so he can be expected to understand why he is in trouble.

You have two choices.

The child needs to understand that he isn't going to get away with the behavior. Ever.

If the parent isn't going to step up then you have to.

I have actually told a parent to leave and come back in ten minutes, because Sweetie is going to sit quietly and politely for a while. The child freaked out when Mom left, but I watched the "lights go on" as she realized she wasn't winning this one. I told her that would happen each and every time she behaved badly at pick up. She tested me again the next day and I did it again. That was the last time. She was a model child every pick up after that.

If you think the parent wouldn't agree to leaving and returning...then the child needs to get a time out the INSTANT they arrive the next morning. Once they understand that consequences WILL follow, one way or the other, they will tow the line. They are smart. They will understand PERFECTLY the reason they are in time out.