View Single Post
PolkaTots 07:59 AM 01-14-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Did you have this policy when you interviewed this family?

How long ago did you attempt to make contact before you finally heard something from them?

I'm really surprised you would fill the spot so quickly when it's just the middle of January. Granted, I don't think they are innocent, but I wouldn't have offered a spot until now.

If I were you, and so this doesn't occur again, collect a minimum of a 2 week non refundable deposit with ALL clients.(to be applied to their last 2 weeks of care). If it's 3 months til they want to start, collect 4 weeks.(to be applied to first two and last two weeks of care)
Yes, this policy has been in my contract since Summer. I actually interviewed them December 5th, and they had a lot of other interviews, so I asked them if they could let me know by Saturday, as I was interviewing another family that weekend. On December 8th, they accepted the spot. I still had my interview that day, since it was before they accepted it, but that family needed hours I couldn't provide. After no response from them, regarding paperwork and a specific start date, I schedule an interview Dec. 26th and they began Jan. 7th. I have had 6 families in the past year "accept" a spot, but continue to interview providers. After the first 2, I changed my contract. Only 2 of the 6 have told me they were going to go elsewhere for care...so I don't bat an eyelash if I don't hear back from a parent who doesn't pay the registration fee. I do know this family was still interviewing providers after they accepted my spot (I am friends with one they interviewed) so that's why I was surprised to hear from them today.