View Single Post
Mike 05:06 PM 04-04-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
So last night I got an email from mom, with a longer explanation of what was going on. I spent time trying to think of a way to make this work financially for me, and I couldn't work it out--it seems so complicated.

So this morning, I told mom that I couldn't hold spots. Mom communicated that she really badly wanted it to work out. We talked about it quite a bit and I explained my point of view, and I told her what kind of $ numbers it would take to make me want to even consider holding spots.

In the end mom, who is a lawyer, offered to write up an proposal to "mitigate any possible losses to me should she change her mind in the Fall" and to cover me holding spots for the Summer, using the numbers I mentioned to her. After asking her what "mitigate" means (lol), I said "sure, make me an offer." So I guess I'll look over what she writes up and see if I feel okay about it.
I'll let you all know if it works out or not.

I like mom pretty well, I just don't think she really gets what it would mean for me to hold open spots when transportation is an issue, and I only have five seats available in my van and she has two children. I spelled that out to her so hopefully she understands it a bit better now. I'll have to see what she comes up with and if I feel good about it or not.

My husband thinks that getting paid for children who are not attending in the Summer is a fine idea!
That's the only way to keep a spot, unless you want lower income.

Make sure you read any fine print in her contract.